Sunday 7 February 2016

GOING BACK TO COLLEGE AND FEELING AWESOME ABOUT IT

FACT OF THE DAY: THIS IS MY 'I MADE IT' FACE

The past week has been the most I've felt like myself in six months. Last night, I went to see Neck Deep and State Champs in London (keep an eye on my Facebook page for a link to my review for Upset soon), had a crowdsurf or two while watching my favourite goth boys in Creeper, and maybe had a few gins. Earlier today, I found out that giant crumpets are a thing. They actually exist. They don't taste any different to normal crumpets, but they're the size of my face. ISN'T LIFE JUST THE SHIZNIT RIGHT NOW?

But tomorrow: tomorrow is where the next exciting chapter of my life really begins. I'll be jobless and soon-to-penniless for five months, but that's because I'll be studying for my NCTJ diploma in journalism. In a nutshell, that's 20 intensive weeks of learning things like media law, court reporting, current affairs and writing in shorthand (which btw, I already fucking hate).

It's going to feel weird going back to a 9-5, five-days-a-week education, but it's the gateway to much bigger things, and if I do well, having a full-time career as a journalist. Despite my thoughts towards shorthand, I am so excited to be starting this diploma, but at the same time, it feels like a slightly unfortunate necessity. I would LOVE it if I could make a living out of being a music journalist, but in this day and age, it's difficult for anyone who isn't in a full-time editorial position, and it's even trickier for people like me who live a fair distance from London. With that in mind, I made the decision last year that it was time to 'broaden my horizons' (ugh, that phrase) as a journalist. Don't get it twisted, I still love writing about music, and I don't think that's ever going to change, but man's gotta pay them bills...


SHIT'S GETTING SERIOUS.

One of the reasons I'm stoked about tomorrow is the fact that it's been kind of a long time coming. I was actually accepted onto the course last April, but due to financial reasons, was left with no choice but to defer my application. Anyone who's been in that position before will tell you how shit that feels. I've spent the last six months saving up the pennies and working my fingers to the bone in an upmarket hotel in Southampton, being tested physically, mentally, and emotionally on horrendous shift patterns with what I'm sure will now be a permanently-screwed body clock. Someone on TripAdvisor also called me "the snottiest barman in Southampton", but hey, I think that sounds punk rock as fuck, so cheers 'RacingAl' - shut up and drink your pinot noir, you willy.

I'm talking about this job as if it was the worst experience of my life in slave-like conditions; it wasn't, it really wasn't, but for the whole time, everything felt so far out of reach, which is why doing stuff like writing for Upset, listening to That's Not Metal and, of course, relaunching Randon's Reviews became really cathartic. 

But I did it, and man, I feel amazing. I'm absolutely terrified and nervous to my core for tomorrow, but god damn! Now, as I mentioned before, I've been warned that the next 20 weeks are going to be really full-on - where that leaves Randon's Reviews, I'm not sure. This particular incarnation of the blog is, in my opinion, the strongest yet, and I feel more confident in blogging in my own voice as opposed to sound too much 'like a journalist', and I went into this knowing full well that it may have to spend its fair share of days on the back burner. But the passion is there. If I want to write on here, I will write on here, like I'm doing right now. Just spouting bollocks about TripAdvisor reviews and giant crumpets...



Have a good week my friends, I know I will (especially considering what's for breakfast tomorrow...)

Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment